2009年6月2日火曜日

Mary Windham SAL - Message from Jacqueline




I was able to download and print out the first installment of the Mary Wigham SAL.
On the first page of the pdf chart was Jacqueline's message about the SAL.

As I was translating this into Japanese for the other Japanese participants, I got to pondering.

Cross stitch and samplers are not popular in Japan at all when compared to US/EU.
And as far as I know, for ordinary people, who stitch reproductions for a hobby, to consider
preservation of the original needlework was very new to me.

(Japan does have a long history of embroidery, most of which are conserved as parts of kimonos, etc. but I don't think stitching their reproductions is a common hobby. I may be wrong).

As a schoolgirl in the US, I learned some background about Quaker culture and religion.
But in Japan no such thing is taught.

However, many Japanese cross-stitchers are drawn to Quaker patterns.

What is in Quaker pattens so that they become popular, even in a culture which is not familiar with its original background?

As I read Jacqueline's message, I thought that it must be the "history" behind it.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿