2009年8月1日土曜日

Lost and Found?

Yesterday, I was preparing to move out, so my desk could be used by someone who was transferring into our department as of next week.
And under the foot of the desk, I found a silver pierced earring. A nice one I could tell, because it was well-shaped (like a Tiffany earring would be) and letters were engraved on the post.

I had just moved to this desk this spring, and before that, it had been occupied for two years by the colleague-friend of mine which I mentioned in an earlier post.
That very morning we had been told that her sick leave had been extended by another month.

We had been instructed by the company clinic to NOT contact her, so that she could take her mind off work as much as possible.
I was told especially to not to, by the company physician. More for my sake, she said - she said she was worried more about me than she was about my friend.

However, not knowing when or if she would be back - I decided to request the company nurse, who was corresponding with my friend, to ask on the next correspondence if she had lost an earring.
I was half expecting a "no", but the nurse said yes, and asked for a photo of the earring, which I sent it over (my boss was puzzled as to why I was photographing an earring!)
And in less than an hour, the nurse called me and said she had confirmed with my friend and said yes, indeed it was hers - she had lost it six months ago. And very happy it had been found, because it was a treasured earring.

When my friend lost it, she must have looked and looked for it under the desk - it was not found when she moved out - and I did not find it when I moved in. Where it had been for the past six months is a complete mystery.

Next day (today), the nurse instructed me to give it to the administrative assistant from another group (also a friend of hers), and send to by courier.
I conjured up a little envelope with some bits of ribbons I grabbed on my way out my apartmentm because I wanted to protect the earring but could not find an accessory pouch; and handed it over.

I had been in high spirits since the day before, because - I actually found something I could do for my friend, after months of watching her suffer and not being able to help.

And now, I could remember my friend six months ago - she was dressed up in a suit for an important meeting, wearing the silver earrings and a necklace to match - and she was beautiful.

I wish a person can find oneself as easily as finding an earring, even if it had been lost for six months.

Shay - thank you for your kind comments about my friend, I think I am learning to wait and hope for the best.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿